Monday, May 16, 2011

Weekly Winners and Jade Lee!



Last Monday, a dear friend received bad news.   Then Blogger ate two posts on Thursday (one here and one at the Reading Reviewer).   Chaos ruined the week.   But Saturday brought comic relief with my husband's Sounds of Aloha production - I blogged about it yesterday.   Do you know any Barbershop singers?   They can put a smile on your face with one song.  

The show also spotlighted the Honolulu Boys' Choir - they can sing in seven different languages!   Finally, Frank DeLima - a Hawaii legend - served as Master of Ceremony.   His claim to fame is to celebrate our ethnic diversity here in Paradise!   In the end, the audience were winners!

And we have winners here at SOS Aloha!

Saturday, May 7, Terri Wolffe and DESPERATE DUCHESS
Betty is the winner!


Sunday, May 8, Mother's Day
Kati R wins her choice from the RT Stash!


Monday, May 9, AJ Nuest and JEZEBEL'S WISH
Pat is the winner!


Tuesday, May 10, International Nurses'  Day
Maria wins her choice from the RT Stash!


Wednesday, May 11, Linda O. Johnston and ALASKAN WOLF
Artemis is the winner!


Thursday, May 12, Colleen Gleason and THE VAMPIRE DIMITRI ...
... who literally came back from the dead after the Blogger meltdown.
Debby is the winner!


Friday, May 13, Leah Marie Brown and MAMMOTH BOOK OF SCOTTISH ROMANCE
Diane D. is the winner!



Continuing our monthly long celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage, I spotlight Asian American romance writer Jade Lee/Kathy Lyons.  From her bio,

Jade Lee has broken new ground in multi-cultural romance. Her China-set historical romances are a first in genre history. Her six-book Tigress series stirred reader passions for foreign settings, and her fantasy romances continue to be ground-breaking. Where did she get such innovative ideas? From a mixed cultural heritage that brings unique vision to her fiction.

As the daughter of a Shanghai native and a staunch Indiana Hoosier, Jade Lee struggled to find her own identity somewhere between America and China. Her search has taken her throughout Asian and the United States. In the end, the answer was found not only at home, but in her own head. Her imagination allows her to explore China in her Tigress series, dragon power in her fantasy romance Dragonborn, and of course, the amazing power of love in all of them.


Her bio also offered tantalizing tidbits, including,

One of Jade’s ancestors signed the document that leased Hong Kong to the British for 99 years.

One of Jade’s ancestors was the first female dentist in Indiana.

Thus demonstrating that our country grew from the immigrants who make up the Melting Pot.

In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage, I am giving away the Jade Lee Gift Pack:

- Jade Lee/Kathy Lee tote bag
- Jade Lee's THE CONCUBINE (Blaze)
- Kathy Lyon's TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS (Blaze)
- Intergalactic Bar and Grille Key chain (which she co-sponsored at RT)


To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about a tidbit from your family tree!

2.  This giveaway is open to all readers.

3.  Comments are open through Saturday, May 21, 10 pm in Hawaii.  I'll announce the winner on Sunday, May 22.

Mahalo,

Kim in Hawaii

Jade Lee with Marcella Burnard at the
Intergalactic Bar and Grille

Meet Jade Lee/Kathy Lyons:

June 3rd-5th
Lori Foster's Reader Event
Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre, West Chester Ohio http://www.lorifoster.com/community/readergettogether.php

June 28th-July 1st
Romance Writers of America Conference
Marriott Times Square
http://www.rwa.org/cs/conferences_and_events

August 5th-7th
RomCom
Crowne Plaza Denver Airport
http://www.romconinc.com/index.php/convention

November 11th-13th
Readers & 'ritas
Hilton Garden Inn/Allen, TX
http://readers-n-ritas.org/

9 comments:

  1. I enjoy Jade's books. I met her years ago at the RT Convention and I will meet her again at Lori Foster's.

    The land the city of Baltimore was built on was owned by an ancestor who disinherited his children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never traced the family tree. There is a possibility that Jade and I have a common ancestor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jade/Kathy's books!
    Have never traced my family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the winners!

    One of my ancestors ran afoul of the king and had to change his name and go into hiding. Therefore, people with that changed last name is still considered kin to people with my last name (even though the event in question happened a looong time ago).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a family bible that dates back to the early 1700s and puts that part of the family here in the USA. that is as far as I have gone. I would love to do more though.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those tidbits about Jade's ancestors is so interesting (I never knew!).

    To be honest, I don't think I can trace my family tree very far back though I would love to so that I can discover anything fascinating about my own ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again Kim!

    Oh my goodness!!! I'm going to RomCon too. I'll have to say hello to Ms. Lee.

    And as for the Blogger meltdown, it was EPIC! I had to extend a giveaway because of it.

    Family tidbit. Well, not mine but my hubby's. Betty White could've been his great-aunt-in-law. But alas, it wasn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim -
    Thank you for spotlighting Jade:) She is a very talented writer, I love settling in to read her works. Her historicals are fabulous! Kathy Lyons novels are great too. She's an all around fantastic gal.

    As for my family heritage, both of my parents have traced our lines back to the 1800s. The most common heritage on both sides is Irish ;) Hence, the my last name on my psuedonym *Kienna Riley*

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Name is, Paula James from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete