Friday, August 8, 2014

Celebrate Little Victories - Romance and the Military



I am currently visiting friends in Florida and touring college campuses with my children.   It was a quick turn around after my trip to the RWA Annual Conference in San Antonio. 

I posted pictures from RWA on my travel blog:

An Evening Stroll - link
Rivercruise and Riverwalk - link
Authors Galore, Menger Hotel, and Librarian's Day - link
RWA Literacy Signing (part 1) - link
RWA Literacy Signing (part 2) - link
More authors, panels, and cocktails - link

Morning Strool to the Murals - link
Morning Stroll to King William - link

I thank RWA for inviting military spouses to the Librarian's Day luncheon during the conference. They enjoyed the guest speaker, Barbara O'Neal, along with the networking event that followed.   RWA also invited the chief librarian from Joint Base San Antonio to participate in the Librarian's Day events. Joint Base San Antonio includes Fort Sam Houston, Randolph AFB, and Lackland AFB, with all branches serving.

I also thought it was a nice touch for RWA to invite Jessica Scott, an active duty Army officer and romance author, to present the first award for the Golden Heart.  As Jessica walked onto the stage, the announcer recognized the military presence in San Antonio.   

Finally, RWA rewarded volunteers by entering their names into a daily drawing for a complimentary registration for next year's conference in New York.   And my name was drawn! Watch out, Big Apple, here I come!

Do you have a little victory to share?  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash. Comments are open through Saturday, August 16, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, August 17.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

PS Check out this article about the RomVets - veterans who write romance - at this link.


19 comments:

  1. Congrats on winning a complimentary registration. I don't have any news to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really have any victories to share, but I am glad it's the weekend and I get to relax and read, my two favorite things. :D Congrats on winning your next year's RWA registration, that's cool that you can already make your plans to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New York would be amazing. Congratulations.

    On my home front, my craft work is selling well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did survive my husband' surgery. Now to survive his recovery. Over night he thought he was taking something every four hours and it should have been every 12. No wonder he is in no pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a victory to share but it sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked out the RomVets web site, I never realized how many of my favorite authors served in the military. Thank you all for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went and bought some things to personalize my apartment. Trying to take ownership of my own space :) Good luck on thee college visits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim--Congratulations, you lucky gal! My latest victory is reaching an important mark in my knee rehab. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on winning - it's always such a nice feeling. My small victory is winning a book last month which is always appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!

    No victory for me.... Although nothing bad to share either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No little victory I can think of either.

    Congrats. I live in NY and have to seriously consider going. Would love to say hi. It is in NYC I take it???

    Patoct

    Patoct

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on winning the registration. Not really any small victory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome that you won next year's registration. I'm so happy for you! My little victory this week is that I am starting to walk normally again. After we got home from our road trip, I smashed my toes against something and have been hobbling around for a few weeks now. But, I'm pretty much back to walking normally...not all the way, but almost there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratsulations on the registration. No small victories here.
    Natalie's Mama

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love little victories, congratulations on yours. Mine was finishing my file review. I work in HR and I had to check all 400 employee files looking for missing paperwork. BORING! But finished!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I got my daughter's room clean!! It was a huge victory, considering how messy it was and I kept putting it off! It's now clean and I can finally walk in there to put laundry away!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've finally managed to clean out my library! Yes! Success!

    ReplyDelete