Friday, March 18, 2016

Aloha to Daphne Du Maurier, Jamaica Inn, and Bodmin Moor

 

Yesterday, we chatted about the Queen of Romance - Barbara Cartland.  Today, let's explore the Queen of Mystery - Daphne Du Maurier.  A denizen of Cornwall, Du Maurier was inspired by a coaching inn to write Jamaica Inn.  From its website (link), 

Jamaica Inn was built in 1750 as a coaching inn – the 18th century equivalent of a modern day service station for weary travellers. Using the turnpike between Launceston and Bodmin, they would stay at the Inn after crossing the wild and treacherous moor.  Some of the travellers were a little less respectable than most and used the Inn to hide away smuggler’s contraband that had been brought ashore. 


It is commonly thought that Jamaica Inn was so named because it was used to store rum smuggled into the country from Jamaica. However, the name is actually said to derive from the important local landowning Trelawney family, two of whose members served as Governors of Jamaica in the 18th century.


Jamaica Inn is well known as the setting for Daphne du Maurier's novel of the same name, published in 1936. The young author was inspired to write her novel in 1930 after she and a friend became lost in fog whilst out riding on the moors, and were lead back by their horses to safety at the Inn. During the time spent recovering from her ordeal, the local rector is said to have entertained her with ghost stories and tales of smuggling!


Have you read any Daphne Du Maurier's books ... or seen her books-turned-movies?  Let me just say, the real Jamaica Inn was spooky enough.  One randomly selected commenter wins a book choice from my convention stash.  Comments are open through Saturday, March 19, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, March 20.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Du Maurier lived in Fowey, Cornwall
Above is Fowey in 1889 
Public Domain (link)

21 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I read any of Daphne Du Maurier's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking back I probably have read a Daphne Du Maurier book or two. But I have forgotten which ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen any of Daphne Du Maurier's movies or read her books. I'm not much of a mystery buff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Daphne De Mauier's many (many) years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say I've read any of her books, that's not really my favorite genre to read or watch movies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was never one to frighten myself... to much imagination gives me nightmares!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read any of her books. Thanks for the post.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never read any of her books. But wow does that Jamaican Inn sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I have never read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I might have a long time ago, but I found I don't sleep well when reading scary stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those were some of the first books I got really interested in - romantic gothics - so many great authors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never read any of her books.
    ladbookfan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Rebecca--it's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't read her books, but did see TV adaption of Jamaica Inn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rebecca is the only novel I have read by Daphne Du Maurier. Even though it was a long time ago, I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not read any of her books.
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Her book REBECCA is a favorite. I have most of her others on my shelf, but haven't yet had a chance to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another great author whose books I haven't read - yet. I should be ashamed of myself. ;-( I don't think I've seen any of her movies either.

    I just need more time in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sure I must have read some many years ago, but cannot remember. Same goes for her movies.
    PattyB43

    ReplyDelete
  20. When we were on holiday in Cornwall one year, we went with friends to Jamaica Inn for lunch. I've got pics of us standing outside. I've also read the book and loved it.

    ReplyDelete