Thursday, March 17, 2016

Aloha to Downton Abbey, Brooklands, and Barbara Cartland


Downton Abbey took its final bow two weeks ago.  The popular series began with the sinking of the Titanic and ended with car racing.  The scenes featuring Brooklands reminded me of my inlaws' visit to the famed race track-turned-flying village during their Aviation History Tour. My mother-in-law knew I was a romance book fan ... and the sign to the Barbara Cartland Reading Room drew her interest.


From Wikipedia (link),

Privately, Cartland took an interest in the early gliding movement. Although aerotowing for launching gliders first occurred in Germany, she thought of long-distance tows in 1931 and did a 200-mile (360 km) tow in a two-seater glider. The idea led to troop-carrying gliders. In 1984, she was awarded the Bishop Wright Air Industry Award for this contribution.

She regularly attended Brooklands aerodrome and motor-racing circuit during the 1920s and 30s, and the Brooklands Museum has preserved a sitting-room from that era and named it after her.




Love that Barbara Cartland's Reading Room is painted in her trademark pink!  I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Leave a comment about Barbara Cartland, motor racing, and/or Downton Abbey - are you a fan of any?  I have not read any of Barbara's books.  I don't care for motor racing.   But I will miss Downton Abbey!

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, March 19, 10  pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, March 20.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

22 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I read a Barbara Cartland. I used to devour them. I LOVE Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My earliest memory of reading historical romance was a Barbara Cartland book. I wasn't even 12 then, so the heat level was just about right. I remember it had a very pink cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Downton Abbey is amazing, I've seen the whole series twice & plan to watch it afain sometime. So many wonderful scenes and details, you can never take it all in with a single viewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read any books by Barbara nor did I ever catch the fever to watch Downton Abbey. As for motor racing, have to admit, it's not my thing

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like a long time now since I've read a book by Barbara Cartland. But I did read a few and njoyed them. I also like Downton Abbey but haven't seen it this season.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to live in Indianapolis. Everyone gets a bit race crazy when the 500 comes to town. I still watch that race.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have not read Barbara or watched Downton Abbey or attended racecar.
    ladbookfan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never watched or read Dontown Abby o Barbara Cartland. Not into race car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. have not read any of her books, have only ever watched one episode of Downton Abby and I like to watch demolition derbies. Not exactly racing, but it works for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read many Barbara Cartland books when I was younger. I thought the covers were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes to all three, as Hoosier for racing, Love costume dramas and Barbara may have started my romance addiction and remember she was related to Princess Diana...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have watched motor racing but only because my husband loves it - me, not so much. Haven't read Barbara Cartland and never watched Downtown Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved Downton Abbey and really miss it. I've not read any of Barbara Cartland's books. She was Princess Diana's step-grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still have my stash of Barbara Cartland books! I'll miss Downton Abbey - I may watch it from the beginning sometime to remember what happened in those early shows.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Racing no. I haven't yet read any of Barbara Cartland's books. I didn't even watch on Downton Abby episode - I was too busy reading. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm afraid I'm not a fan of racing, I haven't had the pleasure of reading any Barbara Cartland's novels but I did catch a few Downton Abbey episodes. I always say when I have time, I'll marathon it. Just haven't had the time yet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have enjoyed Downton Abbey and will miss it too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not read Barbara's books, don't like racing and have never watch D.A.
    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did read several of her books that I found in my grandmother's stash. OK but rather formulaic. I remember seeing an article about her with a picture of her in her pink and white room. Very fancy. I think she had a puffy, little white dog too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Am not a fan of any.
    PattyB43

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never

    read Barbara Cortland. Never been into either of those other things

    ReplyDelete