Friday, October 11, 2013

Aloha to Fleet Week, Jennifer Delamere, and A LADY MOST LOVELY



Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh.
Farewell to college joys, we sail at break of day-ay-ay-ay.
Through our last night on shore, drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home.


On Sunday, the US Navy celebrates its 238th birthday. Let's kick off Fleet Week with Navy brat-turned-romance author Jennifer Delamere. She, too, is celebrating the release of A LADY MOST LOVELY, Book 2 of The Love's Grace Trilogy. 

A Heart of Gold

Socialite Margaret Vaughn is the wealthiest heiress in London—or so everybody thinks. Saddled with debts left by her father, she agrees to marry a rich man who can save her family’s estate. But when her fiancé turns out to be just another poor social climber, Margaret faces financial ruin—and social humiliation. Just when she thinks all is lost, she finds an unlikely savior in Tom Poole . . 

After amassing a fortune in the gold fields of Australia and surviving a harrowing shipwreck, Tom Poole is the toast of London society. Yet despite his new found fame, he’s never forgotten his own humble beginnings. When he learns of Margaret’s plight, he offers her financial assistance—but his interest is not strictly business. This rugged adventurer now seeks a different kind of gold. Although many men pursue Margaret’s hand because of her beauty and lands, can Tom convince her it’s her heart he’s after?


Kim: Can you share a favorite memory/place/experience from your life as a Navy brat?

Jennifer: First, I’d like to thank you for having me on your blog today! My thanks and gratitude goes out to everyone who serves in the military, along with their families.

When I was eight years old we spent a summer in Panama. My brothers and I spent every day at the pool, and I have loved swimming ever since. We also toured the canal locks and took a scenic train ride through the jungle. Our furnished rental home had a bookcase with a large collection of Nancy Drew mysteries. That’s how I discovered Nancy Drew, and that summer I’m pretty sure I devoured them all. My dad and several of his Navy buddies were into folk music, and sometimes they would come over to our house in the evenings for “jam” sessions. I can remember falling asleep to the sounds of great music coming from the living room. It was, in all, a wonderful summer.

The USS John Stennis renders honors to the
USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor

Kim: What did you learn from fans and even the publishing industry after your first book, AN HEIRESS AT HEART?

Jennifer: I’ve learned that fans can be super awesome! I’ve gotten some lovely feedback from people who have enjoyed my books. When those first reviews went up on GoodReads and Amazon, it was a surreal feeling (in a good way) to see people discussing the characters that had been in my head for so long. From publishing I’ve learned how to work faster and write better. I hope to keep improving in both those categories.


Kim: The cover for your new release, A LADY MOST LOVELY, is stunning. What inspired the story?

Jennifer: Thank you—I’m thrilled with the fabulous book covers I’ve gotten from my publisher, Grand Central! A Lady Most Lovely is a follow-up to An Heiress at Heart, although each book stands alone as a complete story. I love “marriage of convenience” plotlines, and I found it worked well for telling Tom and Margaret’s story. When doing research for A Lady Most Lovely, I came across an amazing tidbit about a shipwreck off the southern coast of Australia in the 1800s. A racehorse aboard that ship survived by swimming seven miles to the shore. That’s how the story of Tom Poole and his stallion was born.

Kim: What’s next for Jennifer Delamere?

Jennifer: I’m finishing the final book in this trilogy, which will be out next year. The hero is James Simpson, a lighthearted and lovable rogue whom readers will know from the first two books. James thinks he is a confirmed bachelor. No one will be more surprised than he is at the woman who finally steals his heart! Thanks to James, the book will have plenty of humor. I think readers will enjoy this wrap-up to the series.

The Mighty Mo stands guard over the
USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor.

Mahalo, Jennifer, for joining us at SOS Aloha! I am giving away a Navy tote bag to one randomly selected commenter. To enter the giveaway,

1. Leave a comment about the sea - do you like to sail/cruise? Do you like water sports? Do you know anyone in the Navy?

2. This giveaway is open to all readers.

3. Comments are open through Saturday, October 19, 10 pm in Baltimore. I'll post the winner on Sunday, October 20.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

To learn more about Jennifer and her books, including an excerpt, check out her website at jenniferdelamere.com.



19 comments:

  1. Haven't been on a cruise; don't know anyone in the Navy; not a fan of water sports

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been sailing but would love to try it one day. I love cruise ships - haven't been on one for a very long time. I know several people in the Navy - Happy 238th Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my uncles served in the Navy during WWII. I'd love to try sailing. I have been on a cruise before and on smaller boats, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cruises and have been on a couple, but would love to go on a Mediterranean cruise. I don't personally know anyone in the Navy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the navy's whoo
    Have not been on cruise,bit on. A boat and ferry, I like it
    Thnanks
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get very sea sick, so being out on the water is not my idea of a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ocean. I could spend all day on the ocean. My brother used to be in the Navy. He repaired the radars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have 3 neighbors that were all in the navy...2 on submarines!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only person that I know in the Navy, was my niece. She served for quite a few years. Happy Fleet Week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite vacation was when we took a cruise. But I'm not a swimmer. I do love the shore. And my husband was in the Navy although he was a SeaBee. I've also met many at our American Legion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We grew up on a lake and had row boats and speed boats, but no sailing boats. All three of us were lifeguards as some point in our youth! So there was lots of swimming! My dad was in the Navy and had a piercing whistle that would call us all home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Father, uncles, and cousins were WWI and WWII Navy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a sensitive stomach, but do enjoy looking at the sea with my feet firmly on the sand :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been on a big ship cruise, just some smaller boats and ferries, but I have enjoyed that.
    My Dad was in the navy in WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have only been on smaller boats, never a cruise ship. When I was in my late teens I knew a couple guys who were in the Navy and I dated a sailor. Loved their whites. :)
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't done any sailing/cruising, but I do love the ocean. I've known people that were in the Navy but not anyone at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the sea. I love being on large cruise ships. I love smaller boats, as long as I've taken motion sickness meds. I love swimming and snorkeling in the ocean. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've snorkeled a few times and lived it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The only time I have been on the sea was in a boat to go deep sea fishing as a teenager. I loved it, and caught plenty of good eating fish. I do know and have known many people in the Navy over the years.

    ReplyDelete