Thursday, January 23, 2014

Aloha to Monica Epstein and WHERE THERE IS WILL



Yesterday, my friend's husband came home from Afghanistan.  Safe and sound.  And his name is Will.   In effect, he can now provide emotional comfort after a long deployment.  

Monica Epstein is my guest today to promote WHERE THERE IS WILL.  In her book, Will, provides emotional comfort to heroine, Michelle, in London.  Please join me in welcoming Monica!

Monica Epstein writes about topics that appeal to women like herself—over 40 and nowhere near ready to throw in the towel and call it a life. Her first novel, Where There Is Will, is published by The Wild Rose Press.

Monica lives in a suburb of Washington, D.C. with her husband, their teenage daughter, and a small collection of hats and fascinators. She dreams of being the Queen of England in her next life.


Learn more about Monica at the following: 

Website: monicaepstein.com
Facebook: facebook.com/monicaepsteinauthor
Google+: plus.google.com/+MonicaEpstein

WHERE THERE IS WILL is available at this link.


Kim:  What is your favorite sight, sound, and smell of the DC area?

Monica:  What a great question! Thanks for making me think about DC’s sounds and smells. They’re not something I pay much attention to.

Sight is easy. I love looking at all the Washington monuments, but nothing beats the sight of cherry blossoms in full bloom around the tidal basin with the Jefferson Memorial in the background.

As for smell, Washington D.C. is filled with a variety of ethnic restaurants, each with an aroma of its own. My favorite cuisine by far is Indian. The smell of its spices is heavenly. (And it tastes great, too.)

This might seem strange but my favorite sound is the voices of a full house! My two grown children don’t live at home anymore so the one or two times a year everyone is home together is wonderful. Even if they are not talking to me, the sound of their voices is a reminder of my greatest accomplishments.

Kim:  Let's chat about your small collection of hats and fascinators.   What prompted you to collect them?

Monica:  It didn’t really start out as a collection. I’ve always loved hats and I look good in them; my parents even said that when I was a child. I grew up in a synagogue where it was customary for married women to cover their heads. I would joke that I couldn’t wait to get married so I could wear a hat. At the end of our honeymoon, my husband and I went to an apartment store so I could buy my first hat. It’s a gray fedora.

Kim:  Where do you procure them?

Monica:  I’ve gotten them in different places: department stores, hat shops, craft fairs, even a flea market, where I got a vintage hat. The fascinators I own are from U.K. and Ireland. I purchased two and my husband brought back two as gifts when he traveled to the U.K.

Kim:  What is your most unusual? 

Monica:  I have a large red fascinator that I love, but I’ve never had the courage to wear it! Besides making me stand out, it seems to either clash with my outfit or it is not appropriate for the occasion. But I’ve promised myself I’ll find a place to wear it one day.


Kim:  Do you wear them? 

Monica:  Yes! (Except for the one I mentioned above.) I wear the hats primarily to synagogue even though I’m a member of a congregation where it’s optional for married women to cover their heads. I have worn the fascinators to weddings or other festivities or when I feel like adding a little “fun” to my outfit.

Kim:  And what are your thoughts on the fascinators worn by Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice at Kate's wedding? 

Monica:  I shouldn’t be disrespectful, but some of the hats and fascinators worn to William and Kate’s wedding were bizarre. I like my accessories to compliment my wardrobe not overpower it. Of course, someone might call my red fascinator ugly. To each his or her own!

Kim:  We digressed from writing ... who or what helped you along the path to publishing?

Monica:  Quite a lot of people helped me. First, the online friends I made who inspired me to try my hand at fiction after a forty year hiatus. Next, the first friend who read the entire manuscript and thought it was worthy of publishing. Third, the published author my friends introduced me to who took me to my first meeting of our local Romance Writers of America chapter. Last, all the workshop and class presenters who taught me about the craft of writing and all of the readers who contributed comments and provided suggestions along the way. I was happy my publisher didn’t include acknowledgments. I never would have been able to name everyone.

Kim:  Tell us about WHERE THERE IS WILL - what inspired it? 

Monica:  It was inspired by my midlife crisis! When I learned that my son liked some of the same kinds of music I like, it was a boost to my old ego. Then while listening to music, I got the idea to write a short story about a middle-aged woman who tries to impress a young man with her taste in music. But the end of the story didn’t seem like the end. The characters had more they wanted me to share with readers. Before I knew it, I was writing a full-length novel. After I let a friend read it and she said it was good, I began investigating publication. That’s when I realized I had a lot of rewriting to do, but I was motivated enough to spend the next three years whipping it into shape.

Kim:  What’s next for Monica Epstein?

Monica:  A paranormal idea has practically written itself inside my head, but I’ve hesitated writing it because it’s nothing like the brand I’ve been trying to create for myself. WHERE THERE IS WILL and my blog are aimed at women in midlife. This paranormal story requires younger characters. I’m still struggling with either going against my “brand”, which I haven’t necessarily established, or with modifying the idea enough to make it fit my “brand.”

Readers, writing books and selling books are two different beasts.


Mahalo, Monica, for sharing with us!  I am looking forward to reading WHERE THERE IS WILL:

When she moves to London following her divorce, Michelle Loeser has no interest in looking for love. She needs to focus on surviving without her ex's six-figure income, coping with a severe fear of heights, and rebuilding her confidence. And if she keeps her promise to her best friend, she'll pursue her passion for writing too.

Will Sheridan found his passion early in life. At age eleven, he was cast in the starring role in a film series. Now, at the age of 25, he's a celebrity at a crossroads in his career. He has no time for women who don't understand his priorities.

When Will offers to help Michelle acclimate to the unfamiliar city in exchange for cooking lessons, she figures what's the harm? But jealous fans and coworkers, eager paparazzi, and a distrustful mother see it differently.

File:Westminster Abbey by Canaletto, 1749.jpg
Canaletto's Westminster Abbey (1749)
Public Domain (link)

I am a giving away a "London" gift pack to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  If you could escape for a week to any city, where would it be?

2.  This giveaway is open to all readers.

3.  Comments are open through Saturday, January 25, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, January 26. 

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Monica offers an excerpt from WHERE THERE IS WILL:

While he [Will] stirred the noodles, I leaned over his shoulder to watch. I lingered there so I could take in a few more whiffs of him. When he turned to look at me, I backed away.

“Did you sniff me?”

“No.”

“You did. I saw you.”

“I was watching you stir the noodles.”

“Liar. I heard you too. You owe me a sniff.”

I screwed up my face.

Beckoning me with his index finger, he said, “Come here. It’s my turn to sniff you.”

I stayed put, so he stepped forward, put his hand on the back of my neck, and drew my head close to his face. He leaned in, and, with his nose in my hair, inhaled deeply. He took a handful of my curls, brought them to his nose and sniffed again, and then a third time.

I swayed as goose bumps formed on the nape of my neck under his hand. They traveled down my arms, my spine, even my legs. I closed my eyes and concentrated on the pleasure he was bringing me.

“Lemon?”

I forced my eyes open. “What?”

“Does your shampoo have lemon in it?”

“No.”

“Maybe orange, or some other citrus?”

I managed to return to my senses, although my cheeks were warm. “Mango.”

“It smells good.”

He turned his focus back to the pot of macaroni. “Lunch will be ready soon. Could you get me the strainer from that cupboard?”

I wobbled to the cupboard on legs weak from Will’s touch. I returned with the strainer and handed it to him. While he finished preparing lunch, I busied myself with my back to him, afraid he’d spot my flushed face.

After lunch, Will went off to set the table while I washed dishes and thought about the fact that he and I had definitely been flirting.

38 comments:

  1. I love your red fascintor.

    I'd love to spend time in London or Edinburgh I think. Enjoy & explore. The kilt wearing Scots are a big draw in Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was Edinburgh recently. All I got was a new fascinator. Not them I'm not happy about it, but I would have rather been there myself!

      Delete
  2. I would like to go to Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia's on my bucket list. I hope we both get there someday.

      Delete
  3. I would either go to Dallas or Rochester to visit two of my cyber friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance. I was able to meet two cyber friends a few years ago. It's amazing how we can have friends all over the world with the help of the computers.

      Delete
  4. I would pick New Orleans since I have never been there but it looks like a fun place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to a conference in New Orleans many years ago, but I didn't get to see much of the city or eat the local food. I hate crowds so Mardi Gras is out but I wouldn't mind taking home one of those beautiful masks.

      Delete
  5. Greetings from one hat addict to another. However, in deference to English weather, mine are all rainproof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about rain. What do the English women do when they're planning to wear a hat and it rains? Maybe they have plastic hat bonnets like elderly women used to wear to protect their bouffant hairstyles. (Am I giving away my age?!)

      Delete
    2. Oh, Monica, you should live in our climate. A felt hat with a brim is mighty useful instead of carrying an umbrella. Most of mine are felt or fabric, jazzed up with an assortment of fancy buttons, brooches, or fabric flowers.

      Delete
    3. Where do you live, Madeleine? I may have to move there!

      I've got felt hats. They stand up in wet weather? I did know that. And I've started dressing up some of my felt hats too. My favorite is a a red hat to which I added a red, black, and white fabric bow I bought on Etsy. It coordinated beautifully with the outfit I wore to my daughter's bat mitzvah.

      Delete
  6. Your book sounds really good thanks for the review.
    I would love to go to Paris, I've heard so much of it and how romantic it is.
    Penney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Paris but I know many people who love it there.

      Delete
  7. I would love to go to London for a week. It's my hometown, and I'm very, very, homesick. I miss all the hustle and bustle, the shops, the ambiance and the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, England gets a bad wrap about their food. Tell us what makes London food special.

      You'll have to read WHERE THERE IS WILL so you can tell me what I got wrong about the atmosphere and the slang. I tried to find a Londoner to review it, but without going into detail, it never happened. I sure hope the book is accurate.

      Delete
  8. Hi Monica--Loved the hats! I remember having to wear a little black velvet beret with a feather that dangled over my eye. Now it's strictly stetsons and cold weather gear.
    I'd go off to Jackson WY at the drop of a hat. It's always my go-to place to get away. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried a stetson, but I'd love to. Is wearing a stetson too mild for my bucket list? :-)

      Delete
  9. Oh, there are so many places I would like to visit and revisit some too. Scotland, Australia, The Galapagos Islands and Sicily (my ancestors all came from there). I'd love to go back to England, France and Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Monica,
    I would choose Venice. I've always wanted to see all the amazing architecture and go on a gondola ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Venice is beautiful. I was there many years ago. But what I remember the most was a water taxi strike. They announce it early in the day so you can work your schedule/travels around it!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. The closest I got to Paris was changing planes at the airport. I stared out the window of the plane hoping for a glimpse of the eiffel tower but no luck.

      Delete
  12. I'm fine with just going to someplace local like the mountains in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. A week to get some rest and do nothing sounds wonderful:)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea too, Lori. Hope you get it some time in the near future.

      Delete
  13. New Orleans - for the food. The music. The ghosts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would join you if it weren't for the ghosts. I'm a big scaredy cat. I'll stay in a cafe drinking coffee and eating beignets while you go tracking the ghosts :-)

      Delete
  14. I think I would pick London. I have never been there and it's on the bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to go back to Seattle. This is also a city my hubby would love.

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is currently living there, in grad school at U of Washington. It's a great city. And with all that coffee, I'd be a happy camper :-)

      Delete
  16. I loved the picture of your red fascinator. :) I'd love to visit London, Dublin and the Almalfi Coast in Italy. They are on my Bucket List. Enjoyed your post.

    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. I'm still holding out for an invitation to Prince Harry's wedding (assuming he has one) so I can wear the red fascinator. And I like your travel choices. So many places to go, so little...money.

      Delete
  17. London sounds pretty good!!! I would prefer to go at Christmas time. Adore all those English things: Teapots and Gingerbread houses. I dream of those little bookshops & shops with biscuits and other treats for entertaining in style...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea! I'd love to visit a European Christmas Market, even though I don't celebrate Christmas. I researched one in London for a scene in Where There Is Will. I hope I captured the sights, smells, and sounds accurately.

      Delete
  18. Back to New Orleans! Went a couple of years ago and can't wait to go back. Love the red fascinator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha. It seems like New Orleans was an easy decision for you.

      Delete