Monday, January 13, 2014

Aloha to Susanna Kearsley and THE SPLENDOUR FALLS


I appreciate Susanna Kearsley's bio on Amazon (link),

I write modern gothic novels that blend historical adventure and modern-day suspense with romance and a touch of something spooky, so they don't fit neatly into any category, really...but they're fun to write!

I live on the north shore of Lake Ontario, east of Toronto, in Canada.

File:Château Chinon.JPG
The Chinon Castle overlooks the river.
Image released to Public Domain (link)

Susanna is celebrating the release of THE SPLENDOUR FALLS from Sourcebooks:

An Ancient Castle, a Tragic Love, and a Web of Secrets Begins to Unravel...

Emily Braden has stopped believing in fairy tales and happy endings. When her fascinating but unreliable cousin Harry invites her on a holiday to explore the legendary own of Chinon, and promptly disappears—well, that's Harry for you.

As Emily makes the acquaintance of Chinon and its people, she begins to uncover dark secrets beneath the charm. Legend has it that during a thirteenth-century siege of the castle that looms over the city, Queen Isabelle, child bride of King John, hid a "treasure of great price." And in the last days of the German occupation during World War II, another Isabelle living in Chinon, a girl whose love for an enemy soldier went tragically awry.

As the dangers of the past become disastrously real, Emily is drawn ever more deeply into a labyrinth of mystery as twisted as the streets and tunnels of the ancient town itself.

"A mix of intrigue and adventure...in a style similar to that of Mary Stewart or Barbara Erskine, Kearsley does an excellent job evoking the atmosphere of Chinon with its brooding castle."—The Winnipeg Free Press


"Kearsley's action-packed mystery-romance, set in a medieval French town, shows the same deft plotting that won Kearsley the Catherine Cookson prize for Mariana."—Chatelaine

http://www.susannakearsley.com/susannaandfriendstour.html

Susanna is on tour ... click on this link for more details.  I am currently reading THE SPLENDOUR FALLS and loving it!   Sourcebooks is offering a special giveaway - a copy of my favorite Susanna Kearsley book.  And it is ... THE SHADOWY HORSES (link).   To enter the giveaway,

1.  THE SPLENDOUR FALLS draws its title from Tennyson's poem, THE SPLENDOUR FALLS ON CASTLE WALLS.   THE SHADOWY HORSES takes its title from Yeats' HE BIDS HIS BELOVED BE AT PEACE.   Do you have a favorite poet?

2.  Sourcebooks' giveaway is open to readers in the US and Canada.

3.  Comments are open through Saturday, January 18, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, January 19.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

To learn more about Susanna and her books, check out her website at susannakearsley.com.

13 comments:

  1. I don't have a favorite poet and really don't read much poetry at all. But, I totally love these titles and find it very interesting that they came from poetry. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert Frost - The Road Less Traveled and Miles to go before I Sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always liked Edgar Allan Poe-
    This passage from A Dream, always comes to mind.

    That holy dream- that holy dream,
    While all the world were chiding,
    Hath cheered me as a lovely beam
    A lonely spirit guiding.

    What though that light, thro' storm and night,
    So trembled from afar-
    What could there be more purely bright
    In Truth's day-star?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a favorite poem....:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always liked William Wordsworth's poem, "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the poems my daughters write. :)
    I loved Susanna's The Firebird. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read poetry in years, but I was quite taken with the poet & his poem used at the last presidential inauguration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a favorite poet/poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would pick Walt Whitman as a favorite poet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't really read poetry in a very long time. I don't have a favorite but I do like Robert Frost's The Road Less Traveled.....It's interesting to learn the titles came from poems though. I have loved all her books but have not read Firebird yet or The Shadowy Horses. I have to catch up with my reading. Thanks for the opportunity.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete