Saturday, May 23, 2015

May is National Military Appreciation Month - Aloha to Kara Braden

18480390

Breaking News! I am now posting pictures from the RT Booklovers' Convention on my travel blog, Aloha On My Mind, at this link.
  
Kara Braden hosted the "Hunting Scorpions" table at the SOS America Military Tribute - I named the table based on her bio,

After twenty-three years on Long Island, I ended up in the Arizona desert and haven’t yet figured out how to escape. I blame my wonderful husband, a twenty-one-year veteran of the US Air Force. We share our lives with the dogs and cats who are our children and many, many computers. For fun, we watch movies, play video games (especially MMOs!), and occasionally start fires in the kitchen.

In the years before I started writing full-time, I worked in the semiconductor industry and wrote labs and learning materials for auto/diesel mechanics. I’ve since become proficient at hunting scorpions in my backyard using a blacklight and a spatula, an activity best performed in hiking boots rather than sandals. I have yet to be stung, so I’m apparently doing something right.

Learn more about Kara and her books at karabraden.com.

Kara Braden

Kara's debut book features a military heroine in THE LONGEST NIGHT:

This could work, whispered the little voice in the back of her mind, the voice that had been silent for seven years…

SHE SOUGHT SOLACE IN SOLITUDE
Years ago, former Marine Captain Cecily Knight fled her dark past and the nightmares forever haunting her nights. Alone in the remote Canadian wilderness, she survives day to day…until Ian Fairchild comes storming into her life and shatters her protective seclusion.

UNTIL ONE TOUCH BARED HER SOUL
Aloof but intriguing, defensive but undeniable, Ian is everything Cecily shouldn’t want but can’t ignore. He watches her with shrewd blue eyes, as if determined to decipher her secrets…and for the first time in years, she finds herself coming alive beneath the hands of a man with too many scars to count.

As the hushed and harsh winter closes in around them, two lost souls find themselves on the precipice of a love that could save their lives…or destroy them forever.

Women Marine Reservists enlist for the first time in 1918.

Mahalo, Kara, for serving as a military spouse!  May is National Military Appreciation Month. For the month of May, I am giving away one grand prize of books and swag from the authors featured this month (link). Plus five more commenters - one for each branch of service - wins a book choice from my convention stash. To enter the giveaway,

1. Leave a comment about Arizona, the Copper State?  I only stepped into Arizona when visiting the Hoover Dam.  I would like to spend more time in Arizona, including visiting the Grand Canyon.

2. Comments are open through Sunday, May 31, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3. I'll post the winners on Monday, June 1.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

21898355

25 comments:

  1. Me too, only thru seeing Hoover.
    patoct

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to Arizona many times. Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, Phoenix, Sedona. Lots of nice places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to the Grand Canyon and would like to visit again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Grand Canyon would be very impressive I think. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been there a few times. But it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been to the copper state...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cousin of mine lives in Arizona but I've never been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been to Tucson. I would love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One day I hope to make it there, I have many friends who live in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only been to Scotsdale and it was hot!!! I'd love to visit the Hoover Dam one day :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in Arizona many years ago - saw the Glen Canyon Dam and the North rim of the Grand Canyon - would love to visit again and see more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been to Arizona. I did fly over it though on my way to Vegas a couple of years ago. I have a niece that lives there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got to visit Arizona twice when my father-in-law was alive. I liked the hot weather but no humidity! Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon were fascinating. I also enjoyed Sedona

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been to Arizona a couple of times. My daughter moved there a couple of years ago. Have been to Sedona and Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon (snowed the day we were there).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been to the Grand Canyon twice. It's absolutely gorgeous; definitely a bucket-list item. Photos don't do it justice. Seeing it is an awe-inspiring, faith-inducing experience. On the other side of the state, Hoover Dam is quite an impressive example of early American-engineering success.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to go thru the state pretty often when the family drove from California to visit my grandmother in Colorado. Every time my parents would say the next time we'd go to the Grand Canyon - I still haven't been.

    Last time I was in Arizona was about a year ago wehn we did an overnight stay in Phoenix because of flight issues. It was about 98 degrees at 11:30 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've actually never visited Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been to the Grand Canyon and to visit my brother, who has lived in Phoenix and Scottsdale over the years. It is a beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was thrilled to be able to visit the Grand Canyon last year, it is quite an awesome sight! Congrats to Kara on her debut novel (and kudos to her for her scorpion-hunting, but wow, what an activity!).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I only visited Arizona once for a few days. Was so impressed by the beauty of the Grand Canyon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have not been to the Grand Canyon. Only thing I know about AZ is that they have a baseball team and snakes - yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really not much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete