Monday, May 25, 2015

May is National Military Appreciation Month - Aloha to Ella Quinn

24980059

Ella Quinn cohosted the international table at the SOS America Military Tribute.  From her bio,

Ella Quinn lived all over the United States, the Pacific, Canada, England and Europe before finally discovering the Caribbean. She lives in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands with her wonderful husband, three bossy cats and a loveable great dane.

Ella loves when friends connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.

Ella is standing in the front row, second from right.

Ella is celebrating the release A KISS FOR LADY MARY, Book 6 in the Marriage Game:  

Handsome, charming, and heir to a powerful Viscount, Christopher “Kit” Featherton is everything a woman could want—except interested in marriage. So when he hears that someone on his estate near the Scottish border is claiming to be his wife, Kit sets off to investigate.

Since her parents’ death, Lady Mary Tolliver has been hounded by her cousin, a fortune-hunting fool after her inheritance. Refusing to settle for anything less than love, Mary escapes to the isolated estate of rakish bachelor, Kit Featherton. Knowing he prefers Court to the country, she believes she will be safe. But when Kit unexpectedly returns, her pretend marriage begins to feel seductively real… 

File:Prospect of Edinburgh Castle from the East (c.1753).jpg
Edinburgh Castle circa 1753
Public Domain (link)

Ella offers a guest post ....

As an historical author I love taking my readers to different places. In A Kiss for Lady Mary, even though my heroine desperately wanted to go to London for a Season, Circumstances forced her to settle for the capital to the north, in other words, Edinburgh. The reasons for that will become clear if you read the book. Unfortunately, other than one scene in an earlier book, I had never placed a book in Scotland before. And although I knew they had a Season, I knew nothing about it. Suffice it to say that the research ended up being intensive and rather illuminating.

Since I had a number of gentlemen, I found it necessary to research gentlemen’s clubs. Unlike the English clubs such as White’s and Brook’s the Scottish clubs didn’t affiliate themselves with particular political parties. There was a betting book, but the Scots considered it ill-mannered to bet on anything a lady may do (I can’t say I disagree) and downright stupid to bet on raindrops racing down a pane of glass. Scotch not brandy was the drink of choice. Who didn’t see that coming? Still, they were the place gentlemen went to commune, dine, catch up on the latest news, and get away from the ladies.

Ladies, on the other hand, had endless morning calls. They not only began earlier in the day, but, as there was no Promenade à la Hyde Park, they lasted much of the day.

In the evenings, the Scots engaged in the same round of balls, dinners, theater, and other forms of entertainments, but not on the grand scale as their London counterparts. A surprise to me was that public assemblies were quite popular. Assemblies in England were restricted for the most part to Bath, and county towns.

One piece of information I found interesting was that the grounds of Holyrood Palace were used by debtors to escape debtors prison. If the debtor was on the grounds of the old church, they were immune to arrest.

All in all, it sounded like a good time to me without the grand drama of the ton. London or Edinburgh? What do you think?

Holyrood Palace circa 1649
Public Domain (link)

Ella is giving away an ecopy of A KISS FOR LADY MARY to one randomly selected commenter.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  Answer Ella's question - London or Edinburgh?

2.  Comments are open through Sunday, May 31, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Monday, June 1.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City 

183378561803832618310978

1875252722090692

29 comments:

  1. Hi Ella! It sounds like I'm more of an Edinburgh type person. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Edinburgh, Glenda! I do wish I could have experienced both.

      Delete
  2. Tough choice. I think I would pick Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edinburgh.
    Congrats on the release of your latest book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda!! Wow, two for Edinburgh!! It must be the Scottish men!

      Delete
  4. Congrats... I loved visiting Edinburgh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love Edinburgh as well. It's been too long since I've been there.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for inviting me to visit, Kim! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edinburgh....congrats on your new release

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new release! Even though I would love to go to either place, London is my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to go with Edinburgh - seems like more my style lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely in the majority, catslady! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  9. I've been to Edinburgh, and I love it. I have not been to London, so I'd choose to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both lovely cities, although they have very different personalities. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  10. Edinburgh cuz I like Scottish brogues :) congrats to Ella on the new release!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd be happy visiting either one or reading a story set in either city.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a hard choice to make, but if I could only visit one, I think I'd go with Edinburgh. Of course, I'd hope that I could visit London at a later date as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would be happy with either one. I would love to visit Scotland and England.

    ReplyDelete