Wednesday, May 6, 2015

May is National Military Appreciation Month - Aloha to Elizabeth Essex

a scandal to remember

I met Elizabeth Essex at the Library of Congress' What is Love? Romance in the Digital Age (here, here, here, and here). Elizabeth was featured in the documentary, Love Between the Covers, at this link.   She shared her long distance relationship with a critique partner who lives in Australia.

Elizabeth is co-hosting the "Battle of Trafalgar" table at the SOS America Military Tribute (link). From her bio,

Elizabeth Essex is the award-winning author of the critically acclaimed Reckless Brides historical romance series. When not rereading Jane Austen, mucking about in her garden or simply messing about with boats, Elizabeth can be always be found with her laptop, making up stories about heroes and heroines who live far more exciting lives than she. It wasn’t always so. Long before she ever set pen to paper, Elizabeth graduated from Hollins College with a BA in Classics and Art History, and then earned her MA in Nautical Archaeology from Texas A&M University. While she loved the life of an underwater archaeologist, she has found her true calling writing lush, lyrical historical romance full of passion, daring and adventure.


Elizabeth lives in Texas with her husband, the indispensable Mr. Essex, and her active and exuberant family in an old house filled to the brim with books.


Battle of Trafalgar By William Lionel Wyllie
Public Domain (link)

I want to be an underwater archaeologist!  I wonder what we would find in the waters off Cape Trafalgar?   Mahalo, Elizabeth, for entertaining readers with military men.  From A SCANDAL TO REMEMBER

For too long, Miss Jane Burke’s father has taken advantage of her painstaking research. Heading to the South Seas to make her own name as a scientist despite the crew’s insistence that a woman aboard is bad luck, she isn't prepared to be championed by a handsome ship’s officer who rouses longings inside her as wild as any storm…

For Lieutenant Charles Dance, a post on His Majesty’s survey ship Tenacious is just one more dutiful rung on the ladder of his career. Even a headstrong bluestocking on board is less troubling than the ship’s drunken captain—and the ferocious gales that drive the ship off course. Stranded on a remote island, passion blazes between them as hot as the sun, but it’s Jane’s love Charles wants forever…


HMS Tenacious (F44) at anchor.jpg
A modern HMS Tenacious
Public Domain (link)

May is National Military Appreciation Month. For the month of May, I am giving away one grand prize of books and swag from the authors featured this month (link). Plus five more commenters - one for each branch of service - wins a book choice from my convention stash. To enter the giveaway,

1.  Do you have interest in archaeology?   I was fascinated with King Tut as a child.


2. Comments are open through Sunday, May 31, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3. I'll post the winner on Monday, June 1.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Learn more about Elizabeth and her books at elizabethessex.com.

131671421357551816045009


24 comments:

  1. Underwater archaeology sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've always been interested in archaeology and Egyptology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to be an archeologist from an early age. I spent Saturdays at the library reading books on lost civilizations and archeological digs. My family discouraged me from studying it in college - "Everything has already been found." The last 50 years have disproved that. I was fascinated with Pompeii and Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, king tut
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been interested in archaeology. It's a fascinating field.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes and no, when I was in Italy i was totally amazed with the city of Pompeii.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No fascination. Sorry.
    patoct

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was fascinated with Indiana Jones which lead to archaeology.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL... as long as it was like the movies, where you just brush away a few cobwebs and...voila... treasure! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes - one spring I participated in a dig at a local site of a Revolutionary War mansion - found out it takes a lot of meticulous work and a lot of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome, fellow Texan Elizabeth!

    Hubby and I recently returned from a trip to the Holy Land. Many of the historical sites there spurred our interest in archaeology.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Elizabeth Essex's stories, and I just looked and found out her Scandal to Remember is the only one I do not have! OMG, how remiss of me...I'm gonna have to get that one. Thanks, Kim, for your military blog posts and appreciation. I thank God every day I don't have a loved one "over there," but I have had plenty of relatives who've been "over there" whenever there's been a war, including my own Dad who had 13 battleships shot down from under him! The 13th was a charm, however, and he made it home after WWII safely. I made the trip to Pearl Harbor a few years ago and was awed by the Arizona memorial. And yes, I am fascinated by archeology and have many books--with photos--on the subject, including one entire book devoted to King Tut! In fact, when hubby and I were in the Holy Land in 1986 we saw the tomb in Egypt's Valley of the Kings and many of the treasures taken from his tomb encased in a Cairo museum. Absolutely riveting to see those artifacts and tombs. Thanks for this interesting post! jdh2690@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wasn't until I took my daughter to see the dinosaur museum and what had been dug up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always been fascinated with it and still watch many programs on the history channel or the science channel that relates to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am fascinated with it, and enjoy watching programs about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved everything to do with ancient Egypt as a young teenager. Especially Cleopatra and the pyramids. It seemed so special,, so mysterious :) I watched loads of tv shows on the subject with my father and could not get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No, I've never had an interest in archaeology, unless it's through movies and books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wanted to be an archaeologist for a long time -- then I realized that lots of digs didn't have shower facilities. ;-) I ended up with a History minor in college.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Archaeology is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No interest.
    gmapeony

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always thought it was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes,I have,it's very interesting to know and learn more about past lives :)

    ReplyDelete