Breaking News: On Monday, military personnel could buy tickets for the NFL's Pro Bowl in Aloha Stadium. I bought four cheap seats in the end zone.
The Aloha Stadium is near Pearl Harbor. Of course, we offer the best weather in January ... but there's another reason why Pearl Harbor is the best location to host the Pro Bowl.
And today's guest will tell us why ....
Mary the Reading Reviewer posted her review at:
And you can read an excerpt from Caridad's website,
We are going to skip the traditional interview and play Six Degrees of Separation instead.
Caridad will connect football's origins to Pearl Harbor.
(1) Today is November 9. Back in 1861, Canada hosted the first football game,
Canada can arguably claim to be a founder of the game of football played in North America and now around the world. The first documented football game was played at the University of Toronto on the present site of University College on November 9, 1861.
(2) Caridad's STRONGER THAN SIN features an former football star, Jesse.
During the Grand Central book signing at the RWA National Convention, Caridad gave away yellow rubber duckies with painted football helmets. I asked her if she delegated the painting to her daugher, she replied, "No, I did it myself." Is there anything Caridad can't do?!?!
(3) Jesse is guarded by the FBI.
At one time, the FBI required its agents to have a law or accounting degree. Caridad has a law degree ... I'd think she'd make a formidable agent!
(4) The FBI's most famous female agent is Gracie Hart from Miss Congeniality, giving us a memorable interchange:
Gracie Hart: In Hawaii don't they use aloha for hello and goodbye?
Miss Hawaii: Yeah, so?
Gracie Hart: so if you're on the phone with somebody and they won't stop talking and you say, ok take care, aloha, don't they just start over again?
(this makes me laugh every time I read it).
(5) In Hawaii, we greet visitors with "Aloha" and but bid them farewell with "Mahalo". Maholo means "thank you for spending your tourist dollars here".
(6) The most popular tourist site is the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. The US negotiated rights to Pearl Harbor on November 9, 1887 from the Kingdom of Hawaii.
So that's how Caridad connects football's origins to Pearl Harbor on November 9th! Caridad and Mary have donated books to giveaway:
- 1 copy of SINS OF THE FLESH
- 2 ARCs of STRONGER THAN SIN
1. Contact Kelley at Columbussos@gmail.com to join Operation Holiday Card. It is our goal to ensure that 1000 deployed airmen, marines, sailors, soldiers, and Coast Guardsmen receive a holiday card.
I am promoting Operation Holiday Card through November 12 - if you have signed up, thank you!
2. Leave a comment about Caridad and any connection you may have with her.
3. The book giveaway is open to US and Canadian residents only. Comments will be open through November 11 for the book giveaway.
Join us tomorrow as we celebrate the USMC's 235th birthday with Melissa Marr and Julie Miller.
Kim in Hawaii