Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Melissa Marr celebrates the USMC's 235th Birthday!


Julie Miller rolled in the birthday cake ... and our next guest will light all 235 candles.  Please join me in welcoming Melissa Marr.


Kim:  You have a connection to the Corps - what does Semper Fidelis mean to you?

Melissa:  I spent all but the last two years of my married life with an active duty Marine. (He’s retired now.) He was enlisted when we met, and he was commissioned a couple years later. During those eleven years, I saw MY Marine deploy, work ridiculous hours (as all Marines must!), yet he still always remembered holidays and birthdays and little moments. Even when he was dog tired, he told me those things that made me feel loved, protected, and cherished. From halfway around the world, he still found a few moments to send me letters or calls to support me. It’s not just my Marine who awed me though. He was away after I had surgery during pregnancy, and Marine friends stopped by to check in on me. When I was a young mother, they offered a hand at the commissary. I know I’m biased, but I think Marines are some of the most courteous, most charming, and all-around amazing men out there. Yes, there are exceptions, but overall, what I saw was men and women who were faithful to their vows to country, spouse, and children.


Kim:  Mahalo, Melissa, for sharing your cherished moments with your Marine Hero.  Sigh.  Your story is romantic.   What is your favorite book or movie that features a Marine?

Melissa:  I really enjoyed CHESTY (the bio of Chesty Puller). I used to read some of the books of the Commandant’s Reading Lists, and that one is the one that I still think of sometimes. He was an inspiring man.


Kim:  What's next for Melissa Marr?

Melissa:  Right now, I’m writing my second adult novel. The first one (GRAVEMINDER) releases in July 2011, so I’m at work on the next one now. In the spring, I have tour in Italy for the final book in the WICKED LOVELY series, and in the middle of all of it, I have ongoing consultations with my producer and screenwriter for the film. (Universal acquired the rights last year.) There are talks about other tour events both in the US and abroad, but if I think too long on the fact that I have events booked clear into 2012, I’ll get a bit overwhelmed! It’s probably a bit busier than I’d like, but my career enables me to do something I love (write) and enjoy meeting new people and seeing new places.


To learn more about Melissa, log onto her website, http://www.melissa-marr.com/, or her blog,
http://melissa-writing.livejournal.com/.

Melissa will be attending the RT Book Lovers' Convention in LA.  She is the captain for the Young Adult genre programs.  I suspect that we'll need a platoon of Marines to ensure that Melissa's YA fans don't mob her.


In honor of Melissa's visit, I am giving away a tote bag full of Hawaiian goodies from the Joint Spouses' Conference hosted by the Marine Corps Base Hawaii.   

1. Contact Kelley at Columbussos@gmail.com to join Operation Holiday Card. It is our goal to ensure that 1000 deployed airmen, marines, sailors, soldiers, and Coast Guardsmen receive a holiday card.

I am promoting Operation Holiday Card through November 12 - if you have signed up, thank you!

2. Leave a comment about Melissa, the Corps, and Semper Fidelis.

3. The tote bag giveaway is open to US and Canadian residents only. Comments will be open through November 12 to qualify for the giveaway.

Join us tomorrow for several posts to honor Veterans' Day.

Mahalo,

Kim in Hawaii


Marine Corps Base Hawaii is located in Kaneohe Bay on the Windward side of Oahu. It has the billion dollar view of the Pacific Ocean. The housing residents can see whales breaching during their annual migration.


Kaneohe is next to the upscale Kailua where President Obama has stayed for the past two years.  Our local news has confirmed that he is returning for the Christmas holiday.  Although Air Force One lands at the Honolulu Airport and parks at Hickam Field on the leeward side, his motorcade will whisk him away to the natural beauty of Kaneohe Bay.  The president often works out with the Marines at the base gym.

And I give a shout out to Julianna in Okinawa - she is a Marine!   I hope you enjoy this day!

11 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa, I think your books are fascinating. I'm very honored to have a marine as my best friend(not romantically involved). He's always been there for me, even if he's overseas. I'm proud of the things he does for our country and to call him my friend. He's been overseas for about 6 months now, and when I was in a serious car accident and he found out he sent some of his marine buddies to check up on me and take care of things that I wasn't able to. I am greatful for having met them and thankful for their new friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, please give your husband a big hug for serving our Country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wicked Lovely is a terrific series, looking forward to your aduilt book, GRAVEMINDER, as well. Military people are the best! I want to thank every single one of them for their service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love Chesty! Thanks Melissa for your heartwarming story about your hubby. I appreciate the service and sacrifice you both gave for our country.

    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Melissa and happy 235th birthday to the USMC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout out, Kim! This is Julianna, and I have to agree with Melissa about Marines. Of course...I AM one...so I'm a tad biased, but I've been married to my Marine for the last 10 years, and despite everything we've been through, nothing would convince me to change that. Happy Birthday, USMC, and thank you to all my fellow veterans for all the sacrifices and support. Most of all, thank all of you who support us. You are our strength. Semper Fidelis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, I have your book, "Wicked Lovely" at home, and it is absolutely my favorite! Thank you!!

    Also, I am part of Operation Holiday Card now :)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Wicked Lovely series!! Actually, while reading Ink Exchange I decided to get my first tattoo *grin* Luckily nothing that happened to Leslie happened to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly appreciate all those that serve our great country and those that support them behind the scenes! Thank you Melissa, for providing the support to your family so your husband could do his job and protect our freedoms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post and the series! thank you for posting

    fantasizesgam at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete